Benefits of Fish Oil
The Importance of Antioxidants with Fish Oil: Benefits of omega-3 fatty acids.
Omega-3 fatty acids have been known to have many beneficial effects on different functions of the human body. But recent research has expanded this list of benefits. The following are types of omega-3 fatty acids.
ALA: Alpha-linolenic acid, plant derived omega-3 fatty acid. Primarily from flaxseed, walnut, and hemp oils.
EPA: Eicosapentaenoic acid, animal derived omega-3 fatty acid. Primarily from cold-water fatty fish.
DHA: Docosahexaenoic acid, and omega-3 fatty acid primarily from cold-water fatty fish. There are vegetarian sources (algae) for DHA.
Here is a summary of some of the research based benefits of omega-3 fatty acids.
- Omega-3 fatty acids can help to prevent the development of certain cancers, particularly those of the breast and colon, and possibly of the uterus and the skin, and are likely to reduce the risk of postpartum depression, manic-depressive psychosis, dementias (Alzheimer’s disease and others), hypertension, toxemia, diabeties and to a certain extent age-related macular degeneration.
- Studies show ALA (flaxseed oil) significantly protects against cardiovascular disease.
- Pregnant women that consume more fish oil improve the pregnancy for both the mother and the baby, reducing prematurity and low birth weight in the infant, and reducing hypertension and pre-eclampsia in the mother.
- Omega-3 fatty acids are known to provide anti-inflammatory effects, improve blood flow by decreasing platelet stickiness, and other cardiovascular benefits such as lowering triglyceride blood levels.
- The normal Western diet contains little ALA, providing less than 50% or the RDA. (Source: American Chiropractor May 2007)
Supplementation of omega-3 fatty acids such as EPA, DHA and ALA can have a very beneficial effect on your health, and assist in your treatment recovery. If you are unsure if you are getting adequate amounts of omega-3 fatty acids, discuss it with Dr. Boardman on your next visit. We carry a professional line of high quality supplements.